Gene Fragments are double-stranded pieces of synthetic DNA that can be used for gene construction and modification, antibody research, CRISPRs, qPCR standards and more. They are available from two of our partners and vary in price by length and quality. Please see the ordering portals for more details on the variety of options available to you.
Synthetic genes are manufactured to specification and cloned into the stock vector of your choosing. Custom vectors are also available. Manufacturing time and pricing are dependent on the size and complexity of the gene. Please see the ordering portals for more details.
You must use an IDT portal specific account when ordering. You should see a banner stating “You are using the DNA Analysis Facility Portal” on every page.
You must link your ThermoFisher account to the portal prior to ordering. This process can take up to 24 hours.
Johns Hopkins East Baltimore Medical Campus
600 N. Wolfe Street
Blalock Building, Room 1004
Baltimore, MD 21287 USA
Monday – Friday:
7:00 am to 4:30 pm
After-hours pickup is available from the lockers near the Blalock elevators. Please contact us to make arrangements.
Frequently asked questions
- For Horizon Discovery, if you have a current account, you do not need to create a new account. Simply starting on our portal login page will associate your account with our portal. If you need to create an account, you can do so on the registration page. Orders created on the portal create a quote which is emailed to the GRCF. The GRCF will place the orders by the end of the day. You will receive an email when the order has been placed.
- For IDT, you must create a portal specific account, but account set-up is instantaneous. Simply go to our portal and create a new account. Make sure you do not click anywhere else on the page prior to creating the account, or the web-site will lose the association with our portal. Once you have set up the account, you may place your order. When placing your first order on a newly created account, you will see incorrect pricing and shipping charges, but your bill will be correct.
- For MilliporeSigma, you need to email us the following information:
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your building and room number (for CoreStore deliveries)
- Your PI’s name & email address
- If you already have set up a GRCF account with MilliporeSigma, you may order using this link.
- Qiagen does not require an account. Shopping carts are emailed to the GRCF ( firstname.lastname@example.org) for ordering.
- For ThermoFisher you must link your ThermoFisher account to the Dashboard. Please download and follow these instructions.
Dharmacon and IDT are instantaneous. If you already have a Dharmacon direct account, you may simply login on our portal page and your orders will be associated with the portal. If you already have a direct IDT account, you MUST create a new account by clicking “Set up new account” on our portal page (without clicking anywhere else on the page.)
For MilliporeSigma, you must create an account and wait for an email indicating that the account is active. This may take up to two business days.
For ThermoFisher, you must link a ThermoFisher.com account to our portal. This process may take 24 hours.
Qiagen does not require an account. Orders are emailed to us and placed by the GRCF staff.
On any of these sites, you will pay with your budget number. You do not need a credit card or a PO number from SAP. KKI customers should enter the last name of the PI on their grant or a KKI PO number. All customers (KKI and JHU) will be billed through iLab. JHU customers should check to make sure their budget numbers are active in iLab. Non-sponsored budget numbers must be added to iLab manually by following these instructions.
Standard oligo orders placed before noon from MilliporeSigma arrive the next business day. Standard oligo orders placed with IDT before 2 PM or ThermoFisher before 5 PM, will arrive in our office two business days after they are placed. Other items vary depending on the time it takes the manufacturer to ship. All items are available in Blalock 1004 the day they are received and will go out for delivery with the CoreStore the next morning.
No. Due to the sensitive nature of some of the items ordered through our portals, someone must be present in your lab for your order to be delivered.
Yes. On a typical day, we receive the orders by 11:30 AM. Orders are available in Blalock 1004 from the time they arrive until we close at 4:30 PM. You may stop by and pick them up anytime during those orders. If you call ahead, please be prepared to tell us the order number and then name of the person placing the order. Orders are brought to the CoreStore early the following morning and set out for delivery.
If you know that you would like to pick up your order at the time you place your order, you may replace your building and room number with the words “Pick up” and we will contact you when the order arrives. Pickup orders are placed in one of our lockers near the Blalock elevators and are available 24/7.
You should create a separate ordering account for each lab to make sure that your orders are delivered to the correct location.
This usually means that you have logged into the portal using a username and password that were set up for the SAP punchout or the normal IDT web-site. Using the wrong login will take you to the direct website without any notification. You will only receive free shipping if you use a username and password set up specifically on our portal. You will know you are on the correct website if you see a banner that says “You are using the DNA Analysis Facility Portal” on every page. Also, when you begin the checkout process, the billing and shipping information should be prepopulated with the GRCF address and PO. Click past this page and you will come to a page that asks for your budget number and building and room number.