The GRCF offers DNA and RNA isolation for FFPE samples.
FFPE samples provide an invaluable resource for genetic studies where DNA or RNA are not available from fresh or frozen tissue(s).
Nucleic Acids purification from these tissues can be difficult because they are often highly cross-linked, degraded and fragmented.
The nucleic acid quality and integrity are often affected by duration of tissue fixation, age and storage condition of tissue blocks, and the extraction method.
We use Covaris kits for isolation, which includes Adaptive Focused (AFA) technology.
How it Works
FFPE DNA/RNA Isolation Services are available to the Johns Hopkins Community as well as External Customers.
Place your order in Ilab
If you are new to iLab, see the section below.
Submit your samples
We receive FFPE blocks, core punches, curls/scrolls, or slides.
Follow all instructions in iLab for sample submission and shipment.
You will receive all your samples quantified by nanodrop. An excel worksheet will be uploaded in your iLab order when finished. Please, contact us to pick up your samples or having us shipped to your location.
New to iLab? Don’t have an account?
All orders are processed through the JHU Agilent iLab system. Prior registration is required before an order can be placed. Please see below for information on how to register for an account.
To register for an account:
1. Open a web browser and type in: https://johnshopkins.corefacilities.org/account/signup/42
2. Login using your Johns Hopkins University credentials. If you are not a Johns Hopkins University user, in the upper, right hand corner of the page, click login and select “Not a Johns Hopkins University User.”
3. Upon successful authentication, if you are a Johns Hopkins University user you will be prompted to select your PI/lab from the pull-down list and provide your phone number. If you are a not a Johns Hopkins user, iLabs will send you a welcome email and login credentials. Submit the completed registration form.
4. You will be sent an email with basic instructions on using the system. Please note that lab members will not be able to place orders with the new account until a PI has approved the lab membership request and assigned a budget number.
Placing a Service Request
Using your Johns Hopkins University credentials or login information, you can place service request orders and monitor their progress.
- Navigate to the GRCF DNA Services request page: https://johnshopkins.corefacilities.org/service_center/3253
- In the upper, right hand corner of the page, login.
- Click the Request Services tab then the Service Projects & Quote Request tab on the left. Select “DNA or RNA Isolation: FFPE tissue Form”
- Initiate Request button next to the service of interest. Work through the request.
- You will be asked to complete a form and provide payment information for your request before submitting it to the core.
- Your request will be pending review by the core. Once the request has been submitted, you are welcome to drop samples off or ship them at our location:
725 N Wolfe Street, PCTB G20
Baltimore, MD 21205